Similar to ball bearings, roller bearings are mechanical assemblies designed to carry a load while minimizing friction. The key difference is that roller bearings consist of either cylindrical or tapered rolling elements instead of spherical ones. Each roller bearing unit has a large contact area, which forms line contact that increases stability and maximum load capacity. However, this also increases the friction of the line contact and makes them more suitable for lower speeds.
Benefits of Roller Bearings
The following are some key considerations and benefits of roller bearings:
- Primarily used in machines and systems that require support for high friction rotation
- Handle heavier load capacities due to larger contact area
- Accommodate higher thrust and axial loads
- Support axial and radial loads with specific configurations
- Standardized to permit interchangeability
- Rolling element is available in a variety of shapes, including needle rollers, tapered rollers, spherical rollers, and more
- Available in numerous designs that can be customized to the application or industry
Like ball bearings, the size, width, and configuration of roller bearings vary depending on the application and industry. Also, the rolling element is offered in numerous shapes and are generally made from either a steel alloy, plastic, or ceramic.
As a major roller bearing distributor, MMB Bearings offers a wide variety of roller bearings to suit virtually any application and industry requirements.
- Machine Tool
- Roller Bearings
- Pillow Block/Mounted
- Linear Roller Bearings
- Needle Roller Bearings
- Thrust Ball Bearings
- Thrust Roller Bearings
- Tapered Roller Bearings
- Spherical Roller Bearings
- Fishing Reel Bearings